Note: As of December 14, 2015, I will be at Google in Cambridge, MA.
I create new interactive systems, tools, and experiences by mixing human-computer interaction (HCI), design, and elements of machine learning (ML), information retrieval (IR), and crowdsourcing. See Projects and Publications for examples.
I have also founded/co-founded two companies, the most recent being WatchPop, a company focused on delivering content to smartwatches (co-founded with my PhD student, Adam Fourney, and Kent Lyons). We were honored to be a winner of the Pebble Timeline Challenge for our software.
Former graduate students of mine, and countless students in my HCI classes, have founded their own startups.
Funding for my research work has been generously provided by NSERC, NCE GRAND (where I was a Principal Network Investigator), ORF, a Google Focus Award, EPSRC, and a Leverhulme visiting professorship award.
Selected Publications and Projects
- B. Lafreniere, P. Chilana, A. Fourney, and M. Terry. These Aren't the Commands You're Looking For: Addressing False Feedforward in Feature-Rich Software. UIST 2015.
- M. Gryka, M. Terry, and G. Brostow. Learning to Remove Soft Shadows. Transactions on Graphics (ToG). 2015. [ PDF]
- L. Zaman, W. Stuerzlinger, C. Neugebauer, R. Woodbury, M. Elkhaldi, N. Shireen, M. Terry. GEM-NI: A System For Creating and Managing Alternatives In Generative Design. CHI 2015. [PDF] [video]
- L. Vermette, P. Chilana, M. Terry, A. Fourney, B. Lafreniere, T. Kerr. CheatSheet: A Contextual Interactive Memory Aid for Web Applications. GI 2015.
- A computer vision system produced by Zahir Bokhari (2014) with computer vision researchers at UCL for the Natural History Museum to assist with their historic specimen digitization project: http://youtu.be/uVnJqqfImfk.
- B. Lafreniere, A. Bunt, and M. Terry. Task-Centric Interfaces for Feature-Rich Software. OZCHI 2014. [PDF]
- A. Fourney, B. Lafreniere, P. Chilana, and M. Terry. InterTwine: Creating Interapplication Information Scent to Support Coordinated Use of Software. UIST 2014. [ PDF]
- A. Bunt, P. Dubois, B. Lafreniere, M. Terry, and D. Cormack. TaggedComments: Promoting and Integrating User Comments in Online Application Tutorials. CHI 2014. [PDF]
- A. Fourney, and M. Terry. Mining Online Software Tutorials: Challenges and Open Problems. alt.CHI 2014. [PDF]
- B. Lafreniere, A. Bunt, M. Lount, and M. Terry. Understanding the Roles and Uses of Web Tutorials. ICWSM 2013. [PDF]
- A. Fourney and M. Terry. PICL: Portable In-Circuit Learner. UIST 2012. [PDF]
- A. Fourney, R. Mann, B. Lafreniere, and M. Terry. "Then Click OK!" Extracting References to Interface Elements in Online Documentation. CHI 2012. [PDF]
- A. Fourney, R. Mann, and M. Terry. Query-Feature Graphs: Bridging User Vocabulary and System Functionality. UIST 2011. [PDF]
- CS 116, Introduction to Computer Science 2 (Mark and Tina's story) (Winter 2011)
- CS 349, User Interfaces (Spring 2006, Winter 2008, Winter 2009, Winter 2010, Spring 2011, Winter 2014, Winter 2015)
- CS 449, HCI (Fall 2006, Fall 2007, Fall 2008, Fall 2009, Fall 2011, Spring 2014)
- CS 898, Computer-Mediated Advertising (Winter 2012)
- CS 898, Open Source Usability (Spring 2010)
- CS 898, Advanced Interaction Design (Winter 2008)